A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Late Night GWYNNsday

What's this?  Two posts in one day?  Must be a special occasion.


Today is December 12, 2012.  Lots of 12's, all in a row.  12/12/12.  Twelve twelve twelve.  Twelve seems like a strange word if you type it enough times.

Anyways, due to the fun date, I toyed with the idea of canceling GWYNNsday in favor of my all-time favorite player who donned the "doce".  Nope, not Roberto Alomar or... okay I couldn't think of anybody else for it "not" to be.  Enough suspense?

It's Steve Finley!

Of course, of all of the Padre cards that I have of Mr. NL West, I don't have any that fully show his number on them.  He wore number 10 when he broke into the majors with the Orioles, but wore 12 the rest of his 18 years in the league, with a hiccup in Los Angeles when he wore number 16 during part of the 2004 season.

In honor of 12-12-12, here are my 12 favorite cards of the Stevemeister.

But wait, if this is a GWYNNsday post, then where's Mr. Padre?

Well, I was perusing ESPN.com today, and came across their list of the top 100 players of all time, or the "Hall of 100".  Yesterday they had a bunch of Honorable Mentions and went up to 76, and today the unveiled numbers 75 to 26.  Anthony Keith landed at the 61st spot, sandwiched between Ferguson Jenkins (62) and Ozzie Smith (60).  It sounded a little low to me, but looking at who they put in front of him, I guess it sounds about right.  I don't know that I would rank Wade Boggs (54) and Robin Yount (58) as far ahead of Tony as they did, but larger travesties have taken place in the world.

Anyways, here's a Tony Gwynn card I picked up on Black Friday from Check Out My Cards.  Couldn't pass up on the great shipping deal they had, plus... this was the last card I needed to complete the 1992 Fleer Ultra Tony Gwynn Commemorative Series set.

Anyways, hope your GWYNNsday night is going well.  Tonight Mr. Almost One Week Old decided to have a blowout diaper all over his mother at the exact same time that his older sister threw up on the sofa.  I'm not entirely convinced that this wasn't some premeditated attack.  I have never in my life done so much laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment