A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

From the Clubhouse

It's Christmas-time.  Nobody in Texas says "Holidays".  That being said, if there are any other traditions or beliefs that you celebrate during this or any other time of the year, I hope that you enjoy them to the fullest extent.

Giving and receiving gifts is customary with many traditions at this time of year.  The phrase "It's better to give than to receive" is thrown around a lot.  And do you know what?  It's true.  Ask Mark from This Way To The Clubhouse.  If you do, I'm sure that he will tell you that sending me a surprise package of Padres cards was the among the highlights of the season for him.

Of course, people are liars, and Mark isn't perfect, so the only way to be sure that it's better to give than to receive is to actually put the rubber to the road and try it for yourself.  If you choose to experiment upon my words and send me some of those cards that you already have lying around your living space, here's a great reference point, courtesy of the aforementioned Clubhouse-dweller.

Can't go wrong with giving Gold for the holidays.  These are, of course, the serial numbered gold borders from this year's Topps set, numbered to 2012.  I liked what Forsythe was able to put together this year.  I was really hoping that Yonder would get a Padres card in the Update set, but he'll have to wait until next year for his flagship Padres debut.  He was at least included in Padre blue for the Heritage and Allen & Ginter sets, so all wasn't lost for the Friar first baseman.


Next up, Mark sent me a slew of the 2012 Topps Minis.  I figured that these would be much smaller, but there's not a huge difference between them and the standard sized cards.  I think that most of those will make their way into my giveaway box at school (the kids love the mini cards and stickers that get put in there, so there's good incentive to get those), but I'm definitely holding onto the Quentin card; that's a great shot.

I'm not a big Mark Loretta fan per se, but he had one of the greatest offensive years in Padre history, so that's gotta be worth something.  And who doesn't love Benito cards?  I know that I don't not love them.  I didn't even know that he played for the Blue Jays, but here's the proof that he was strapping on the gear north of the border in 1997 and 1998.  Benito was gone by the time I got really into baseball and the Padres, but collecting his Padre cards has gotten me into some of his post-San Diego cardboard as well, and most of it has come by way of Mark.

Thanks Mark!  He didn't even know that I was heading out to the post office to send him some goodies the same day that I got the stuff he sent!  Of course, they didn't get shipped until yesterday; I'm going to go with the 5-day old excuse that's been living with us since last Thursday as the culprit.  I thought that I pooped a lot (reference point: just had our second child, and the little can't do anything for himself... sheesh!)

Anyways, it's the giving time of year, and if you're looking for somebody to give those unwanted Padres cards to, I'm here to help you get into the Christmas spirit, so send 'em my way!

1 comment: