A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Winnings and Wallach Returns

Been a few days.  Hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving.  Mine was pretty low-key, but having a few days off and spending more time with my wife and daughter has been nice...

Anyways, enough with the pleasantries.  You know those annoying people who win those blogger contests instead of you?  Do you congratulate them, but secretly wish that it had been you instead?

No?  Well, you must be a better person than me.

For once (okay, it's not the first time), it was me.  Kerry from Cards on Cards had a World Series contest to guess who would steal the first base, thus winning Taco Bell's "Steal A Base, Steal A Taco" contest for the whole country.  My guess was the Giants' Angel Pagan, and when he stole second in Game 2, I was a winner along with the rest of the country (assuming you're a fan of Taco Bell and/or diarrhea).

The prize was a game used card from the team of my choice (the Padres), which he would pick up at the next card show he went to.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was definitely satisfied with what came in the mail yesterday.

I know there's been an outrage about "relic" cards that aren't the real thing.  Even still, the possibility that I now have a piece of a Trevor Hoffman jersey and a piece of a Tony Gwynn jersey (from a previous trade) is kinda cool.

I also recently sent a few Tim Wallach cards to Cory, helping him get closer to owning all of the Wallach cards in the universe.  In return, he sent me a tidy group of Padre cards, most from the 70s.  I'm running low on space on my Picasa album, so I'll just show the absolute highlights.

I haven't always been a fan of the whole team cards, mostly because I think there are cooler ways to show the whole team (I really liked what Topps did with their 2011 flagship set).  However, the all yellow uniforms with brown long sleeves is pretty sweet looking.

The 1969 Topps set isn't a good looking set.  However, it's the inaugural team set for the Padres, so they're cool to have.  Roberto was the 48th pick of the 1968 expansion draft, taken from the Philadelphia Phillies.  He batted .250 with 30 RBIs for the first edition of the Friars in 1969, and was traded to the A's before the 1970 season.  I love the obviously airbrushed black cap and the "why did you wake me up" look on his face.  I already have this '84 Gwynn card, but now I have another one for the player collection.

Thanks for the cards guys!  Cory sent me a few others that will make their way onto the blog as well, including a super vintage "Padre Backstops".  But that's for another day.

In non-card related news, today we went to another swap-meet thing today, this time in Austin.  Didn't get any baseball cards, but came away with a old-timey looking baseball game that the seller practically forced me to have, and a patch off a San Diego Port Authority uniform, which was pretty cool to see in the middle of Texas.  My wife also found some furniture for a dollhouse that she's fixing up to give to our daughter for Christmas.

Hope the holiday break has treated everybody well.  Our Christmas tree was up before dinner yesterday, so I guess we're those kind of people.  Ok, not really, but my wife is pregnant and will be having the baby before Christmas, so we wanted to get everything set up before the baby came.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the Hoffman card. I am still fond of relic cards, especially when they're serial numbered and/or well designed. Maybe that makes me a sucker, but I'm okay with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always preferred the '84 Gwynn to the '83. I like the '83 design better, but it's not a real flattering shot of Tony on the '83.

    ReplyDelete