A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, November 5, 2012

Group Break Loot from the Toddfather

A while back, I participated in the first ever group break from Home of the Toddfather.  I'm usually not super interested in group breaks (this is only the second one I've ever joined), because most people have tons of Padres to burn, so I figure I should save my money since I can get the most recent cards through trade packages.

However, one of the boxes he was breaking was this year's Topps Pro Debut, which is all minor leaguers.  They don't sell this at the Wal-Mart or Target near me, and the nearest LCS is a pretty good drive away, so I joined.  Pretty satisfied with the haul, and was able to forge a trade as well, which I'll post later.  Here's just a sampling of the loot.

Starting off with my favorite card first.  I got Cory's autograph at Spring Training, and this card looks sharp.  He ended 2011 with the Ft. Wayne Tin Caps, but spent all of 2012 with the Lake Elsinore Storm, the Padres' High A affiliate.  He had a decent enough season, batting .271 (104 for 384) with 40 RBI and 27 stolen bases.  From what I've heard, he's a pretty solid defender as well.

Gyorko is projected to be with the big club in 2013.  He spent the first fourth of the season in AA San Antonio, before being promoted to AAA Tucson, where he started killing it, batting .328 (121 for 369) with 24 homers and 83 RBI.  Keyvius Sampson had a stellar year last year (hence the All-Star card), but struggled at AA Tucson this year, logging 122 innings with an even 5.00 ERA.

The other minor league cards were cool too, and I also got Jace Peterson, Jonathan Galvez, Kevin Quackenbush, Robbie Erlin, and another Sampson.  Only three more cards to finish off the base set, although this isn't a set that I'm looking on completing.  Probably.

After the excitement of the Pro Debut box, the rest of the cards were pretty blah, mostly because the Padres don't have a lot of interesting cards in the Topps Flagship/Chrome sets.  However, these were my two favorite cards from those sets.

The Kyle Blanks card is a great shot of the biggest person that I've ever met in person (6'6", 270 lbs).  You can't tell that much from this picture, but the lighting for the image looks really cool, if you haven't seen it yet.  Probably the best looking card of a Padres player this year.  Too bad he only got five at-bats this year (due to injury).  This Yasmani Grandal card is really cool, because I can't remember the last time that a Padre rookie was good enough to merit two cards in a set.  This is his "Rookie Debut" card (different from his actual rookie card).  Nothing spectacular happened in Grandal's first game, but in his first game as a starter, he hit two home runs from either side of the plate against Colorado.  Those were his first two hits in the majors.

Anyways, it was a pretty good score for me, completing this year's update set and scoring a bunch of minor league cards.  I love those things.  Thanks for the break Tim!

No comments:

Post a Comment