A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Friday, November 16, 2012

Drawing a Blank

A while back, I was going through a repack of cards I got from Walgreens.  For four bucks, you get 100 cards, which is a steal compared to todays prices for packs of cards.  Plus, I already have gotten most of the 2012's Padres in trade packages.  There is usually a lot of junk wax in these repacks, but I've gotten lucky and scored some pretty cool cards from there before, so I figured I'd give it a shot again.

As I was leafing through the cards, I found this one.

If you squint hard enough, you can see the faint outline of what looks like it might've been the back of a 1985 Topps card.  The backs are usually a dull, green color, but this one looks decidedly red.  I had just gotten a Tony Gwynn card in a trade package that had a blank back (which I thought was pretty cool), so I quickly flipped it over to see who it was.

It was this guy!

When I first started the blog, Cal was one of the guys that I said that I "collected".  This meant that from the cards I had as a kid, I had about five Ripken Jrs.  Not much at all.  I got a few from packages, but I kept ending up with a lot of "newer" Ripken cards, ones that came out after he retired.  I already have enough Tony Gwynn cards that keep coming (not complaining there), but I figured that one retired star is enough for me.  This, however, is definitely a keeper.  

Tried to find out more about 1985 Topps with the blank, red backs, but haven't found anything.  I would imagine that this is something that happened on Topps' end, but I suppose that maybe it could've happened between it's journey from pack to repack?  The card is in pretty good condition, so I wouldn't think so, but who knows.

Well played Walgreens.  Well played.

No comments:

Post a Comment