A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Don't Stand So Close To Me

Something is wrong with the photographer's zoom lens!  I thought the phrase "don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes" was a old war time expression, not something used when you're taking shots for baseball cards.

When I first saw this card coming out of a repack, I was seriously startled.  What can usually be a really cool shot of a catcher wearing his mask and looking like a badass has turned into Sandy looking like he's some kind of prisoner trapped in his own gear.  It looks like something out of a horror movie.  I imagine that if we were to zoom out, somebody from the "Saw" movies would be amputating his leg (that happens in one of those movies, right?  Not much of a horror movie guy, so I stayed away from those).

I am always a fan of catcher's cards.  This one... is pretty original... so it makes it into a binder.

I just might have to make sure that I only look at it in the day time.

3 comments:

  1. Classic. I've always liked that set design also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1995 Topps was fantastic. This is one of the many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen that card and I don't ever want to again! Mommy! The masked man is back!

    Love the set though!

    ReplyDelete