A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Magician.

Everth Cabrera has had a pretty decent year on the field.  He only batted .246, but had a .324 OBP and led the NL in stolen bases, despite the fact that he only appeared in 115 games.

At the end of the season, I was trying to dig up some Everth cards, but was coming up dry.  I was eventually able to scrounge up a few more, but then I busted a cheap re-package deal from my local Target, I found this waiting for me inside...

I certainly do miss the days of Upper Deck.  That 1993 set is one of my all time faves.  But what stands out here is not just the fact that it's Cabby's "Rookie Card".

I love that Upper Deck wasn't afraid to use "non-traditional" pictures on their cards.  I'm guessing that the ball is making it's way into Everth's glove, and he's about to use his other hand to secure it's place/get ready to throw again.  But from the angle that this was taken, it looks like he's holding it in his glove and saying "Tah-dah" like some kind of birthday party magician.  While the jazz hands look nice, it's the face that really seals the deal for me.

Here's a slight closeup.

There are plenty of times when I'm working on something and really focusing, and I'll catch myself making a weird face, usually with my brows furrowed or my tongue sticking out (my wife laughs at our daughter, who has the same tendency).  Fortunately, these images of me aren't captured and put on cardboard for the world to see.

Also, in case you glanced at the emblem on the front of the card, but weren't sure what a "rookie" was, you can see that it is someone with "NO MLB EXPERIENCE".  Plenty of blank space here, maybe I should start writing down some of his recent stats so it doesn't look so bare.

Anyways, congrats again to your NL Stolen Base champ.  Since he didn't get included in any Topps sets this year, here's a face you non-Padre fans can associate with the name.

1 comment:

  1. See, this is why I (and throngs of collectors) get impatient with Topps Update. Why was this guy not included in the set, but we had, like 50 Bryce Harper cards? Or Home Run Derby cards?

    ReplyDelete