A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Friday, October 12, 2012

Thanks Mom!

My wife and I are expecting our second child in December, which will be my parent's third grandchild. Living over 1,000 miles away from them, they try to send packages when they can with goodies for the 19-month old and stuff that they think we might need for our negative two month old (not sure what to call a child who isn't expected until mid-December)

Well, I was surprised that mixed in with the goodies for the kiddos was a little something for her big kid - me.

Two packs of Allen & Ginter, to be exact!

I've mentioned that I've started collecting again, which I think she likes, probably because it makes her feel young to have an "oldest child" that's still young enough to collect baseball cards.  Anyways, I thought that was pretty cool of her.  I've already boxed the rest of the cards from the packs, but I posted the three that I liked the most.


CHASE!  Your National League RBI champ is now officially scratched off the want list for this set.  Only two more Padres to finish off this team set (Alonso and Maybin).  This is a pretty good looking card for Headley, much better than his teammate Edison Volquez' card, if you've seen it.  I already had this Rickey card as a mini, it looks even better as a 2" by 3".  Gotta love the green and gold.  I loved Rickey as a Padre, but this is what suits him best.

This card is already a little damaged since I let my daughter play with it.  The lady who used to babysit her when my wife was still working had some big huge dogs, who terrified her the first few days, but she came to love them.  Every time she sees a dog, she gets ridiculously excited, and she held onto this for a few minutes before going back to her dolls.  I have the "Man's Best Friend" card of Boston Terriers on my want list, since those were the first dogs that my wife and I got as a couple.  I loved those little guys.

Anyways, it was a nice surprise to get these from an unlikely source.  Moms are great.

2 comments:

  1. You can't not like getting some Padres from your Madre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to have you write the titles for my posts.

      Delete