A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

End of the Season GWYNNsday


Well, this is the last day of the season for my Padres.  Another year come and gone.  Not a great year for the Friars, but it had it's fair share of highlights, I suppose.  

The last game of the season will mean more for some teams than others.  I, for one, am stoked to see the A's and Rangers duke it out for the AL West title.  I have become a semi-Ranger fan since living in the Lone Star state, but how can you not root for Oakland?  I watched the game last night and those guys were intense!  Fans were getting super into it as well.  I'm also interested in the Orioles-Yankees race for the AL East.  If the cards get shuffled a certain way, there could be a playoff before the playoffs, which would be interesting, although I'm not sure how much the players will look forward to that.

For me, I'm hoping that the Padres can avoid the sweep at the hands of the Brewers.  Ending the year at ten games below .500 doesn't seem so bad when you consider how they started off the season.

Lastly, my Dodger-hating wishes were fulfilled last night as the Giants edged them 4-3 to eliminate them from the post-season.  I've come across so many nice, decent, generous bloggers since I started writing here, so I do feel bad for them.  But they're the only ones.  Being a fan of a small-market team, anytime a team buys a ton of talent and still gets beat out, it gives me hope that someday the Padres will have a shot again.  It's why I also root against the Yankees and the Heat.

But, to show a little sympathy for any broken-hearted bloggers out there, I found a card that bridges the gap between our two teams.  A Padre and a Dodger, as happy as a pair of brothers (the camera has been fixed, so I won't have to pirate images from the internet anymore, thanks for bearing with me for the past few months).

Congrats on building a pretty good team.  Hopefully my Padres can do a little better than the 7-11 mark they posted against you guys this year.

On a side note, if you haven't heard Adam Greenberg's story, you should check it out.  The Marlins actually in the news on a positive note.

No comments:

Post a Comment