A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Broken Lumber Score, pt. 2

A while back, Jeremy from Broken Lumber Blog struck up a trade with me.  I helped him with a bunch of his more recent set needs, and he sent me an initial return package, along with the promise of the Padres he was able to dig up as he rummaged through some other boxes he had recently obtained.

Thankfully, Jeremy remembered reading that my address had changed, so he emailed to make sure that he was sending them to the right address.  They made it here on Saturday.  Here are a few of the highlights...

I don't remember seeing these as a kid, but I would've loved this set.  The 1992 Upper Deck design is a good one in my book, and this "unique" shot of Holbert (a "Top Prospect" who went on to get 202 ABs with four teams in five years) is definitely a keeper.  Does that helmet look a few sizes larger than it should?

I love these black parallels from the 2009 Topps set.  Wouldn't have minded a more interesting manager shot of Buddy, but not a bad picture here.  Hey, if managers wear the uniforms like players, they should get cards like players, too, right?

    
Turns out that I already had this Sheffield card, but the McGriff was definitely a welcome addition to the PC.  These are from the "Atlantic Collector's Edition", which was (maybe?) distributed by a chain of gas stations?  I know that might not really qualify them as "rare", but I'll say that they're "not as easily found", which is always kinda cool.

I feel like I have so many Chase Headley cards, and then end up with one that I've never seen before.  Probably one of my favorites now.  1992 Topps is one of my favorite sets, due to the fact that it was the first set that I regularly collected (my first actual pack of cards was 1991 Fleer, but it must've been at the end of the season, because 1992 Topps was the one that was I ended up picking up the most).  In 1993, Topps inserted "gold cards" in every pack, but in 1992, they were much more difficult to find.  Regardless, I never pulled any Padres, so getting this one was super rad.

The last package from Jeremy had a Nolan Ryan patch card, and this time he included this sweet Tony Gwynn "Retired Number Patch" card.  I know that these kinds of cards aren't "real" relic cards, but I'll take any kind of Anthony Keith cards that I can get my hands on.  And it still looks cool, and that's what matters to me, so getting this was pretty sweet.

He also included three packs of these Topps UK Mini's from 1988.  The gum was an interesting shade of grayish white, and the cards were a little warped, but it was cool to open a pack that I had never ripped before.  Nothing super exciting, but I did score a few future-former Padres.

Thanks again Jeremy!  The dude is one of those super organized types who is on zistle.com, so he's a great trading partner for those who haven't made it over there yet.

2 comments:

  1. Topps really nailed it with 1992 Gold parallels. I wasn't as impressed with the '93 Gold cards. Maybe, as you say, it was the sheer volume of them that were available that cheapened the experience?

    Nonetheless, I have to agree -- Super Rad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 1992 Topps set is one that is really growing on me. My favorite card from '92 Topps is the Tony Gwynn card. It is perfect.

    The thing about the 1992 UD Minors(and the flagship set)is that they would have been much more awesome if they had used the stock they used for the football set from that same year.

    ReplyDelete