A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, October 22, 2012

Affordable Group Break Loot: TSC '93-'94

Now that my camera's working, I'm trying to catch up on a few things in the "To Do" bin.  One of the things at the top of the list was to show off what I got from Cardboard Collection's "Affordable Group Breaks".

This was the first break that I ever participated in, and as can be inferred by the name of Colbey's group breaks, it was too good and too cheap to pass up:  $12 for all the Padres from 10 boxes of Topps Stadium Club!

I'll break this up into two days worth of posts.  First up: TSC 1993

One thing that I will always love about cards from 1992 and 1993 is that there are always shots of the Padres showing off the 1992 All Star Game patches.  I remember going to the All Star FanFest and thinking it was totally awesome, so I can't get enough of cards like these ones of Greg Harris and Kurt Stillwell.

I'm pretty sure that the only reason that anyone (besides me and a small handful of others) voluntarily chooses the Padres in a group break is because they are Tony Gwynn collectors.  Can't say I blame 'em, but it'd be nice if they sent the rest of the players my way.  Anthony's awesomeness can't be contained in a vertical card this time around.

I think I already had this Crime Dog card, but this one was in better shape, so the upgrade was nice.  What was super nice was that Colbey threw in this awesome Trevor Hoffman card, since the Marlins were unclaimed.  Not a lot of "Pre-Padre" era Hoffy cards, so that was a cool bonus.

Onto the 1994 TSC...

One of the main reasons that I was excited about this group break was that I was hoping I could get my hands on this Archi Cianfrocco card.  I love Archi, but it's hard to come across him in many trade packages, and eBay has them a little overpriced for my meager budget, so I was glad to get this one.  Can't go wrong with a Padre in catcher's gear, especially a rookie-type card of Kevin Higgins.

Not sure how they got away with having a "ML Debut" card for Hoffman in a Padres uniform... when he made his debut for the Marlins.  Acquired by the Friars on June 24, 1993 (in the deal that sent Gary Sheffield to Florida), Trevor actually pitched the first 35 innings of his career in those snazzy teal ensembles the Marlins were known for in the early 90s.  Still, a pretty sweet card, glad to have it.

Not sure how to classify this "Quick Start" card.  It's not a base card, but not technically an "insert".  Nice recalling the days when the Padres had players that were worthy of multiple cards in a set.  Here's hoping that Topps does an "RBI Leaders" card next year, and that Chase Headley gets to double dip.

Having recently read a post by Night Owl about "defining the designs" of baseball card sets, I immediately thought of 1994 Stadium Club, being the "Extreme Labelmaker" set.  Never had label making been sooo edgy!  Not sure how I'd define the 1993 TSC set, but I'd label these ones... 

mine.

Tomorrow... TSC '95-'96.  Cue the suspenseful music.  Fade to black.

1 comment:

  1. '94 Stadium Club is definitely "the label maker set."

    ReplyDelete