A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, October 8, 2012

1971 Topps

I've mentioned before that when I was collecting baseball cards as a kid, I was all about the "new" stuff.  Shiny was good, and current players on current teams was preferred.  There was one older player that I was interested in, but I was never able to track a card of his down.

It was Nate Colbert.  He holds the Padres career home run record with 163 dingers, just two ahead of Adrian Gonzalez.  I already have his 1969 Topps card, the inaugural Padres set.  I fell in love with the 1971-style cards from this year's Archives set, so I decided that I needed to add some authentic 1971 cards to my collection.

I picked up the Colbert, Campbell, and Coombs off eBay for about $2.50 delivered.  Not the most interesting shots of any of the players, but still very cool in my book.  I like how Campbell didn't want to sign his name on his face, so he squeezed it in on the right hand side.

A few months ago, I also picked up these cards, which were cut out of Price Guide Monthly.  The stock is pretty flimsy, but it's still cool to see some early 90s players in the early 70s border.  At least with the Joe Carter card, the color scheme matches the 70s uniforms perfectly. 

Here's a few of the cards from this year's Archives.  I remember at first reading blogs about how disappointing Archives was, and I said to myself that I wouldn't be picking up any packs.  I finally gave in and ended up liking it, and put together the whole 1971-style mini-set (50 cards).  These two weren't part of the 50-card set.  The Frank Howard is a remake using a different (i.e. "better") photo, and the Juan Marichal is a reprint with the "Archives" in gold foil.

Just for funsies, we'll take a look at the back of these three different types of black-bordered gems.

This ones the original.  Basic info, last year's stats along with career stats.  Black and white photo on your standard gray-ish card stock.  I always thought it was weird that, even for newer players, I've seen a lot of "back of the card write-ups" about what they did in the (enter specific minor league name here).  Minor league putouts is a pretty worthless stat.

Obviously being new card instead of forty one year old card makes this one a little easier to read.  Still has the black and white photo that's different from the card.  I don't like those sets that have the exact same picture on the front cropped onto the back.  If I wanted to see the front again, I'd flip it over! Interesting to note that Frank made it to the majors in his first year of pro ball.  Dude was only 22 years old, sounds like Washington gets all the phenoms!

Instead of a photo on the inset here, we have a picture of... Benito's 1988 Score baseball card?  On the back, we also learn that in 1991, Benito's Fleer rookie card could net you $7, but his Upper Deck card from the previous year wasn't worth two dimes.  Pretty low for a "potential... perennial All-Star and a future Hall of Famer".  At least his cards come "highly recommended".

Anyways, if you couldn't tell, I really like this set, which I'm sure isn't an original sentiment.  I'll be interested to see if Archives is back for next year, and if so, what years of Topps they'll be showcasing. I wouldn't mind seeing 1973, 1986, or 1989 in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment