A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, September 15, 2012

What the H?

I bought a lot of 16 Padre cards off eBay for 90 cents, and they came this week.  The cards seemed to be organized alphabetically, since I got some Hoffman's, Hitchcock's, Hurst's, and Harris', along with a Hernandez, and a Hammaker.  A lone Joyner made it's way into the stack.  Stuck out like a sore thumb.

Here is probably the best looking card of the lot.

Hensley always seemed like a gamer for the Pads.  His best year was 2006, when he 11-12 with a 3.71 ERA.  That year, the Padres won the NL West, but lost to St. Louis in the playoffs.  He pitched in 2 2/3 innings over two games, a series which the Cards ended up taking.  He started 29 games that season, compared to just 19 in the six years since.

He pitched four years in San Diego, who didn't resign him.  He spent a year in the Astros system before rejoining the majors with the Marlins (2 years) and the Giants (where he still is today).

I often get Clay and Wade LeBlanc mixed up.  Both are former Padre pitchers who were starters for us, now used primarily as bullpen guys, and both spent time in with the Marlins (LeBlanc is still there).


Anyways, can't go wrong with the brown and yellow unis here.  Not my favorite of the Padres throwbacks, but still good looking.  Hopefully Clay will get a chance to prove his worth again with the Giants.

Speaking of teams heading towards the playoffs... I was thinking about who I'll be rooting for this year.


I'm a semi-Rangers fan, and I was a huge fan of the White Sox in 2005 (at the beginning of the year, I didn't just jump on the band wagon during the playoffs), so I like them.  But I also like how well the A's are playing, and it'd be great for a team besides the usual suspects (Yankees, Red Sox, Rays) make the playoffs out of the AL East, so I'd love to see the Orioles do well.  I'll basically be rooting for any team not from New York.

In the NL, the pickings are slimmer.  I don't really have anything against the Reds.  They have Brandon Phillips, who is fun to watch, and they have Mat Latos, the best Padre pitcher since Cy Young winner Jake Peavy.  I like the Nats, and despite the hype around Bryce Harper, I'm still a fan.  Of course, I can't root for any teams coming out of the NL West.  And the Cardinals have beat the Padres too many times in the playoffs to ever be able to root for them (plus the Rangers heartbreaking loss to them last year was almost too much for me to watch).

I'm torn on the Braves... It'd be great for Chipper to have one last great playoff run into the sunset... but it's the Braves! Their 90s dominance of the NL still seems fresh in my mind, so they're hard to root for.  Plus, Jones has been to three World Series (albeit, they were all in the 90s, but he does have a ring), which is one more than Tony Gwynn, so I'd be fine if they made an early exit.

I guess if I could choose... my NL representative would be... THE PADRES!  Still technically in the 2nd Wild Card hunt.

Ok, ok, realistically, my choice for a World Series matchup would be Oakland v. Washington.  A Beltway Series would be an interesting matchup, but I'd really like to see the A's get in.  I went on a baseball trip with my dad and brothers to see all of the California ballparks that we had never been to (San Francisco, Oakland, and Los Angeles).  For whatever reason, I had the most fun at the A's game.  I remember them being pretty terrible at the time, but it seemed like a really good atmosphere.  I don't know if that's an accurate description of how it is now (or even how it was then), but I've always had a place in my heart for the Athletics.


Plus, I'm a fan of Cal State Fullerton alum Kurt Suzuki, and I'd like to see how he did against his former team, now that he's with the Nationals.

No comments:

Post a Comment