A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wacky GWYNNsday

Man, school is killing me right now.  Doing a ton of planning and preparing, and it seems like I have a meeting with someone almost everyday after school.  Trying to figure out how to better teach the kiddos I've been blessed to teach, so I can't complain too much.

I will say that I definitely pass out as soon as I hit my pillow.

As I write this, it's Tuesday night and I'm taking a break from grading papers.  Just thought I'd throw down a quick post.  I missed Music Monday, but I didn't want to let another GWYNNsday slip by me.  Here's a card that I picked up from one of Cardboard Collection's "Affordable Group Breaks".  A bunch of boxes of Topps Stadium Club, this one from 1995...
This is a "Virtual Reality" parallel.  I don't know what that means.  Of course, that's not what sticks out when looking at this card.

What's with that huge bat?  The year before, Tony won his 5th NL Batting Title with a ridiculous .394 average in a strike-shortened season, so maybe this is some sort of award ceremony?  Why is Tony sitting on that huge bench by himself?  Is he awaiting his teammates to help him haul away that branchless tree that's lying in front of him?  If it is indeed a celebration, it seems to be of little consequence to Mr. Padre, who can barely manage a smirk.  Probably thinking about that night's pitcher, going through the video tape in his head.

Anyways, this card reminded me of one of the stories that I read to my daughter when it's time for her to go to bed.


Hope yaller havin' a GWYNN-tastic Wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. Great card! I've never seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "Virtual Reality" have the stats on the back that projected what they would have if the prior year had not been strike-shortened. The regular cards just have their actual stats from the strike-shortened year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense! I'll have to pull that card out again and see what he was "projected" to do. From the same break, I also got a "Virtual Reality" parallel of Scott Sanders, a pitcher for the Pads for a few years. Havta check out that one as well.

      Delete
  3. I love that look on his face. It makes it look like he's clapping sarcastically.

    ReplyDelete