A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Trade with Nomo's Sushi Platter

Same story, different verse: Dodger bloggers hooking me up with Padres.  This time, it was Spiegel from Nomo's Sushi Platter.

Gun to my head, if I had to choose a Dodger that I liked, I would say... shoot me.

Ok, seriously though, before the Dodgers became public enemy number one in my book, I thought Hideo Nomo was pretty cool.  The hype that surrounded his rookie year reminds me of Bryce Harper this year, and I remember pulling a Nomo card and thinking it looked pretty sweet.  His was the first windup that I ever tried to emulate.  Then came 1996 and I learned to despise the boys from LA.

Anyways, I'm happy to report that the platter of cards I received from this trade was most excellent.  I wish I had more Dodgers to send him, but there's too many Dodger bloggers!  I will admit, though, that I haven't sent them out yet, but will be doing so this week (just moved across town, busy with school, yada yada).

On to the cardboard...

No, he didn't send me two Hundley cards.  He sent me the one on the left, and when I first saw it, I was a little confused.  I thought I already had the Hundley from 2009 Topps!  Well, it turns out that for some reason, Nick was included in Series 1 and Series 2.  Maybe they thought his "Hook 'em Horns" sign would alienate all of the Oklahoma card fans, so the went with a traditional catcher's squat for Series 2.

KOOOZ!  Always love getting Kouzmanoff cards.  Not sure what "Lucky 13" means from this Fleer Ultra set, but I'm lucky to get it.

He was awesome enough to help me finish off the Padres Heritage team set!  Excellent!  Maybin was the last one that I needed.  He also sent a Yonder Alonso from this set, which gives me one for the "Padre" binder and another for the "Player Collection" binder.  The Michael Young from the same set gets me to within one for the Ranger's team set.  Anybody have the Ron Washington card?  I love the look of these cards.

Are there people who have collected this set?  It seems like an impossibly ridiculous task.  I'm not really a fan of very many of these cards, but I don't have a lot of E-Cab cards, and the fact that he's turning two and the card mentions "the brothers Gonzalez help beat L.A." makes this a keeper in my book.

Lots of other Padres goodness to be had here, so it was definitely a good deal on my end.  There was a serial numbered Jeremy Owens card in there as well, a 2011 Topps Clayton Richard parallel with the old-school cardboard on the back, along with some cool Khalil Greene and Eric Owens cards that will probably make it on to another post in the future.

Thanks for the deal!  As much as I dislike the Dodgers, their bloggers are great writers and trade partners.  Stop trying to soften me up, okay?  We're supposed to be enemies!

Oh, you don't really care about the Padres?  The Giants are your biggest rivalry?

Ok, keep the cards coming then.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Great post, dude. Thanks for the compliments ans digs at the Dodgers. Sometimes, I forget that you guys consider us your biggest rivals. I was in San Diego for the Dodger/Padre Opening Day this year. Padre fans were so laid back and super chill. They even spook kindly to me. It didn't feel like a rivalry road game for me.

    Anyways, thanks again and I hope to trade again real soon.

    ReplyDelete