A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, September 3, 2012

Music Monday: Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem


Besides being the most influential movie of my childhood (though I was born five years later), The Muppet Movie (1979) has what has to be one of the best soundtracks of any movie ever.  "The Rainbow Connection" is probably the most popular of the songs, but my favorite song is by Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem.

Aside from the awesome band name, this diverse group of musicians could really lay down some great tunes.  In college I was able to track down an mp3 of this and added it to my iPod, and got made fun of by my wife for listening to "kiddie music".  But don't let the puppets fool you, this is some sweet, sweet rock 'n roll.

The name of the song at the bottom is "Can You Picture That" (I tried putting it right here, but then it messed up the rest of the paragraphs below it).  Since we just moved and haven't gotten the cable hooked up, we've been doing some serious DVD-watching.  Our selection of children's movies is pretty thin, so yesterday during lunch, I popped in the Muppet Movie and watched my daughter bounce around in her high chair to the music.

Baseball tie-in: See that sweet looking Adrian Gonzalez card up at the top?  How can he make those sand-colored unis look so good?  It's a pretty difficult thing to do, but A-Gon was able to pull it off in San Diego (along with Khalil Greene).  To me, that just looks right.  It feels right.
This looks so wrong.  It feels so wrong.  Unlike the Muppets, I cannot picture that ever looking right.  Is this some kind of cruel retribution for all those years that Garvey and Valenzuela were in San Diego?  Or are they still bitter about giving Kevin Brown a king's ransom after his one great half-year with the Padres?

Fortunately, the addition of most of the Red Sox payroll doesn't seem to be helping the Bums win any games, and after a week plus of Gonzo/Beckett, they're only 5-5 and have fallen 4.5 games back of the Giants, although Adrian did have a walk-off double last night.  Seems like a team that has the potential to go on a tear.

Am I actually rooting for the Giants to win the division (shudders)?  Don't get me wrong, I really really don't like the Giants.  But I can't stand LA.

I'll probably root for San Fran and then hope that the Reds or Nats take 'em out.

Any other current players who you just couldn't picture in another uniform?  Last year I would've said Pujols or Ichiro in anything besides Cardinal red or Mariner... teal (is that what color they are?).  But the Angels uniforms are pretty similar to St. Louis, and it seems like so many stars are prone to spending at least a little time with the Yankees, so I guess it isn't that weird.  Jeter in Boston would be ridiculous, and probably a sign of the apocalypse.

As a kid, my favorite line was always "Aurora Borealis, shining down in Dallas".  A pretty creative rhyme for Dallas, although I later found that Texas isn't a great place to see the Aurora Borealis, or "Northern Lights".

3 comments:

  1. Admit it: Blue looks a thousand times better than sand. Any beach will tell you that.

    But congrats on appreciating good stuff before you were born. The Muppets were right in my childhood wheelhouse and right into teenage-dom! Tell your wife, all of the Muppets stuff is definitely adult friendly. That was part of its charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my wife is slowly coming around on the Muppets...

      I'm hoping that the new Padres ownership does something with the Padres uniforms next year. I'll admit, I wasn't a fan of the sand (although it was... original), and this years' model aren't much better (very bland). I'd like to see the brown make a comeback, somehow. Not necessarily the same as it was in the 70s-80s, but somehow. I do like the Pads away uniforms, which are gray with navy block lettering, a nod to the PCL Padres.

      I'll credit the Dodgers, they found a style and stuck with it. Wish the Padres could find the same consistency, to some degree.

      Delete
  2. Yes to the Muppets! It's still one of my alltime favorite movies...also, i like the song moving right along that fozzie and kermit sing, if only because of the spoken comedic interludes.

    ReplyDelete