A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, August 27, 2012

Music Monday: Taking Care of Business

Today is the first day of school here in central Texas.  This will be my third "first day of school" as a teacher, and my second as a 5th grade teacher.  Had a good turnout for "Meet the Teacher Night" and with the classroom all set up and lessons planned, should be able to hit the ground running.

The 5th grade hall is one of the farthest away from the office, and coming down the hall, there is a big bulletin board next to each class.  During the year, it's usually covered with student work, but at the beginning of the year, I havta find something to put on it.  Most teachers go all out with cutesy decorations of monkeys or butterflies that look really nice, but it's (obviously) not my style.

Last year, I wanted to have some sort of statement that I could tape to the board that would set the tone for the beginning of the year, and one night when I was on facebook, one of my sisters posted a picture of a button that she had on her backpack that said "2 Legit 2 Quit".  The more I thought about it, the more fun I thought it would be to put on our bulletin board, so that became our "class motto" and MC Hammer's hit song became our class anthem.  We would play it throughout the year in the morning before tests or during lunch time if we were eating in class.  It was goofy and fun.

I thought about recycling it this year, but I wanted to do something different (plus, last year wasn't the most "legit" year in my opinion).  So I decided to go with this song:

Love the announcer at the beginning.  Definitely some "heavy duty rock" here.  It's got an easy, memorable chorus, although the lyrics, while clean, don't necessarily mesh with what we'd like to accomplish in school ("I love to work at nothing all day").

Speaking of "taking care of business", how about Chase Headley?  In the month of August (23 games, through Saturday), he has batted .314 with 10 homers and 28 RBI.  In 113 games last season, he managed 4 homers and 44 RBI.  Dude is on a hot streak, and the Pads are playing some good ball.  This is a black bordered mini from this year's A&G set.  I have both the regular and black mini of Chase, but have only managed three other Padres from this set, all regular base cards (Quentin, Luebke, and Volquez).

Anyways, hope everybody has a good first day of school, whether it's you, your kids, relatives, etc.  

2 comments:

  1. You might enjoy this post on Headley's August: http://blogs.thescore.com/mlb/2012/08/23/getting-a-headley-start-on-chasing-history-puns/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Interesting read, plus it's always good to read about a Padre from a "non-local" perspective. It'll be interesting to see if they keep Headley long term. Jedd Gyorko is supposed to be a stud, and I was all for moving Chase at the deadline if the price was right (but wasn't in a rush), but with the streak he's been on, I feel like I'd hate to see him go... He's finally producing, who knows how long it'll take for Gyorko (or anyone) to get it to Headley's 2012 level? Thanks again for the tip, and for reading my little blog!

      Delete