A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Long Update Post

Been a while since I posted.  Been busy with life-stuff, trying to not be so obsessive about posting, although I'm still reading most of the other blogs that I usually follow.  My camera is still not working (I have another one, but is too blurry when taking pictures up close), so I'll be borrowing images from the web to accompany the words here.

First off, I mentioned that I went on a vacation to sunny San Diego.  While I was there, I caught a Padres victory over the lowly Astros, as Edinson Volquez pitched a complete game ONE-HITTER!  Lost the no-no in the 4th on a weak infield hit that he couldn't handle cleanly.


Volquez being congratulated by catcher Yasmani Grandal.

A picture of the ballpark, not taken by me, at a game I didn't go to, but we sat about twenty rows in front of the left edge of the jumbo tron.

The day before that game, my wife and I tried to make it to the game, but we had to wait until the baby got up from her nap.  By the time she did and we made it downtown, they had stopped selling tickets (it was the beginning of the 7th, and they stopped selling tickets after the end of the 6th), and we couldn't get in.  You can't tell from this picture, but she is wearing a Padres onesie that I got from Wal-Mart earlier that day.  She doesn't normally chew on her hand like that.

Also, while in San Diego, I visited my all-time favorite record store: 

Lou's Records in Encinitas, CA.  It used to be two separate buildings that divided the used CDs/records from the new ones, but they recently (okay, a year ago) downsized into one building.  Waterloo Records in Austin, TX, is the still the best record store I've been to, but Lou's holds a special place in my heart for all the great music that I have discovered there over the years.

While I was there, I picked up a few CDs from the used section.  One was "Idle Will Kill" by an LA area punk band named Osker that was from 2001.  It was semi-decent, as was the $0.49 copy of "Street Gospels" by Bedouin Soundclash, a Canadian reggae band.  The best pick-up by far, however, was the Grosse Pointe Blank soundtrack.  Aside from being a good movie, it boasts some killer tunes, including songs by The Clash, Violent Femmes, Guns 'n Roses, The Specials, English Beat, etc.  Since my iPod stopped working about a month ago when the baby was chewing on it, this became the soundtrack to the trip.

Speaking of music, I was able to catch a punk rock show in Escondido, CA of all places.  When I visit, I usually have to sluff it downtown to catch a show, but this one was playing down the street from my in-laws.  Score!

The place is kind of a hole in the wall (although it looks okay at night, from the outside), but the bands were pretty good.  My younger brother and I went to see Cobra Skulls (lead singer pictured below), a band from Reno, but caught a pretty good opening band called Prosthetic Arms, local boys from SD.  It was good to see them and hand w/the broseph.










My last night there (my wife had to go back a few days earlier for work), I got to hang with one of my sisters and went to the beach (La Jolla shores) and one of our favorite dessert places downtown (Extraordinary Desserts in Little Italy).  After that, we rounded up most of the siblings (there's seven of us, altogether, so it's not always easy to do) and a cousin and went to an 11:30 movie.

Which was pretty good.

All in all, a good trip.  One that makes me miss San Diego, but I'm grateful that both my parents and in-laws still live there, so we'll always have reasons to visit.

Oh, and I also went to a baseball card shop.  I'm in the process of purging my collection, in part to simplify my storage situation, in another part, to simplify my life, so I was pretty conservative in my pick ups.  More details on that later, but this was one of the favorites that I reeled in for a whopping fifty cents.


Tomorrow I'll post the finds from the card shop, then catch up on an all-encompassing trade post, and finally post some of the changes to what I'll be working on collecting, trying to avoid cardboard burnout.  Feels good to be back blogging again, though.  Seriously, how awesome is this Fisk card?

3 comments:

  1. that fisk card is righteous awesome.

    same as that batman movie - which i finally saw 2 nights ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fisk is giving supreme justice to the "In Action" title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're back and your time off was used for fun and not dealing with "real life" stuff.

    Too bad your Padres had to return the favor for their earlier in the season sweep by the Cubs!

    ReplyDelete