A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Donations Always Accepted

A while back, I got an email from Adam, who informed me that he had purchased a big lot of baseball cards from the 80s-early 00s, and he wanted to know if I'd be interested in the Padres that he picked up.

I definitely was, and they didn't disappoint.

A lot of cards would've been great if I had been trying to put together a bunch of team sets.  After yesterday's blog post, you may have noticed that I'm not bothering with that as much now, but there were a bunch of great cards in the package he sent me.


First off, three for the player collection that all happen to be from 1996, my favorite year of being a Padres fan.  I feel like I've seen all these cards a bunch of times, but I surprisingly didn't own any of them.  All welcome additions.  Steve Finley is still my favorite Padre of all time.

Now, some lesser known Padres.  I became a Dann fan since I started this blog, so it was fun to get this one.  Not sure how many cards of his there are, but it's kinda fun to collect those obscure guys.  I didn't know that Jim Lewis ever existed before this card, but with a pitching face like that (gotta love the 'stache as well), this was definitely a keeper.  Also happens to be a lifetime Padre.  Yep, drafted in the 5th round in 1985, and threw all of his major league innings (13) for the Padres in 1991.  Pitched in 12 games for a 4.15 ERA and had 10 K's

Andy Benes is probably the first player that I ever knew on the Padres, as he was the pitcher for the first Padres game that I remember going to.  His 1,036 K's as a Friar is second best in franchise history (right behind a guy named Jake Peavy) and is also 5th in innings pitched.  Really like both of these cards.

Topps Kids was a set that I liked as a kid because they were so cheap!  I was only eight when they came out, but by the time I was ten, I thought they were lame.  They're cool and nostalgic now.  A little more pink on each card than eight year old me would've liked, but still cool.

There are very few team sets that I'm trying to complete right now.  One of them is 1984 Topps.  Before this package, I only had four.  Now I think I only have about about three left!  Awesome!  This Gwosdz card was my favorite of the bunch.  No idea how to pronounce that.  I already had this Gossage card, but it wasn't in great condition.  How could you not love that 'stache?  If anybody has seen Dale Thayer pitch this year, he's attempting to channel Goose.  Thayer looks to get a lot of playing time with Huston Street out indefinitely.  He's 6 for 8 in save opportunities so far.

They weren't all from the 80s and 90s, though.  This sweet Jedd Gyorko card is from this year's Bowman Platinum set.  Very cool looking.  Gyorko is tearing up AAA Tucson with a .333 average, .574 slugging, 17 homers, and 65 RBI.  Being a third baseman, I thought for sure that Chase Headley would be gone at the trading deadline and that Jedd would be brought up.  He wasn't, and in the 14 games since the deadline, has batted .302 with 7 homers and 21 RBI.  Not too shabby.

Chase, just like many other cards from Adam, is a keeper.  Thanks man!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, talk about a diverse lot. Very cool! I kinda like the Topps Kids cards. Then again, I'm also very immature...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwosdz is pronounced "Goosh". His nickname was "Eye Chart".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Goosh" would've been my 1,318th guess. Glad I mentioned that, now that I know, I can impress... well, it'll probably come in handy sometime.

      Delete
  3. You're welcome. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete