A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, August 18, 2012

All Bunting, All The Time


I'm not sure where a lot of other bloggers go for their stat-checking, but I usually go to baseballreference.com.  It's got a lot of stats (including fielding stats, which I haven't used in a blog yet), and even breaks down a player's stats by the team they played for, which I love.

However, I haven't found a way to find out how many times a player bunted, either for a hit or a sacrifice.

Judging by a lot of Steve Finley's cards, it seemed like he was big on bunting.  It probably started when he was in Baltimore ------------------------------------------------>


He had the speed to beat out a lot of bunts in Houston, as well.

Being a savvy veteran with great form only made it easier.

And even though he averaged more than 20 homers a year with the Padres, he was still bunting in San Diego.

I don't know how it's possible, but I have more cards of Steve Finley bunting than I do of Benito Santiago in his catcher's gear (okay, almost).  I always knew Finley more for his outstanding defensive abilities, as evidenced by his five Gold Gloves (two of which were earned in Padre blue), not so much for his bunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment