A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, July 9, 2012

Pack Report: 2012 Allen & Ginter - Plus, Contest Winners!

Two Posts crammed into one!  I'll get to the 2012 A&G first, since there was only one Home Run Derby contest winner (and two runners-up), and I want to address the larger audience first.  Ok, ok, fine, if you picked the winner, Prince Fielder, you're either the winner or one of the runners-up.  That's all I'll say until the end.

Onto '12 Allen & Ginter.  I saw on baseballcardpedia.org that it was supposed to hit the shelves on July 11th.  However, while making an ice cream run to Wal-Mart for my beautiful, pregnant wife, I saw a new addition to the card aisle.  I've already seen at least one other A&G post, so I know that I'm not the only one who's seen them, maybe those estimated dates are a little later to surprise collectors if they get there before that.

Anyways, I picked up a rack pack, which (like the Bowman rack packs) has three packs of six cards each, along with a smaller pack of three mini cards.  I was contemplating going card by card, saying what I got, but since some of these are going to be included into trade packages anyways, I'll just show the stuff that I found interesting, and then you can check the trade list if there's anything that you're interested in.

Out of the whole rack pack, I'm only keeping the Padres cards.  Yep, that's right, I said the Padres cards, as in plural, more than one Padre card!  In the first pack I opened, I saw this fantastic Friar on the very top!

CQ!  In Padre blue!  It was a good omen.

I decided to open the small little three-pack of mini cards next.  SCORE!  I'm not the hugest fan of mini cards (as funny as that sounds), but these are two that I'll definitely be holding on to.  I've been hearing rumors that the Pads might be shopping Headley, which is a shame, because he's having a pretty good year (for a Padre).  I love Napoli, but a lot of his cards don't look great this year.  This is the exception, I think Nap in the catchers gear looks sweet.

Here's a fancier mini, with a prettier border.  I mean, a tougher, darker, manlier border.
Do they make pages that fit mini cards?  Or are there tiny storage boxes just for minis?  I think the reason I'm not into them is because they're hard to display/store.  What do you guys do with your minis?  Keep your minds out of the gutter, I'm talking about cards!  C'mon, this is a family blog!

I liked this shot of Vance Worley... the first time I saw it, which was in this year's Heritage set.  Lazy Topps!  They did the same thing with Geovany Soto's card as well.

The "What's In A Name" inserts seem alright.  I kinda always wondered what Sparky's real name was, but never enough to look it up.  There goes A&G, always trying to teach you something.

Speaking of teaching me something, I found out that this person is... well, I already forgot, and don't feel like looking for the card and figuring it out again.  Something about the "grandfather" of some type of fishing.  Or the inventor of that singing bass toy that was so popular that one year.

The Padres alone made this a good pickup for me, and I love the Allen & Ginter base card design.  I guess I wish that they had packs that just showcased the baseball players.  Call me old fashioned, but I don't really care about other "Champions of the World".  Heck, I don't even care about the "champions" of baseball, since the Padres have never won a World Series (yet).  A&G seems ideal for set collectors who have to have all. of. the. cards.  Not so much for someone who just wants to see some cool cards of baseball players.  I still really like them though, and will probably pick up some more soon, and work on some trades involving the Padres and a handful of other players.

Ok, onto the contest winners...

AdamE, of Thoughts and Sox was the first place winner, who picked Prince Fielder and thought he'd have nine homers in his last round (Fielder actually had 12 in the final round).

Simons44 was the first runner up, who thought Fielder would hit eight in the final round.

Dan, from Dan's Other World, was the final runner up, who thought Fielder would hit four in the final round.

I already have two of the addresses, but I still need AdamE's (tried emailing the address on your profile, and I got a message saying that it couldn't be sent).  Hope to get those off to the post office tomorrow, since I'll be leaving for a week and a half vacation on Wednesday.  Congrats to the winners!

4 comments:

  1. Kick butt! Funny I just saw this, I picked you up something today. I hope you like 24 year old gum!
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooooooooHoooooooo!!!!!!


    Thanks for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They did a shoddy photoshop job on Q's card. They took last year's chest insignia (with the sand drop shadow instead of this year's outline) and just added a headspoon to it. They did this on Huston Street's Heritage card, too. There's also no sleeve piping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your quasi-disdain for mini cards. Since I don't generally know what to do with them, I usually don't collect or seek them. Yet, I've seen binder pages for the tall/skinny Ginter type of minis, but not for the 80's era "Leaders" cards or the 2012 Topps '87 inserts. I actually do like the latter and would be happy if they did make the appropriate binder sheets. Maybe they do and I've just missed the boat??

    ReplyDelete