A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

GWYNNsday Vacation Day

This evening, I'll be heading down to Austin with the family to catch a plane to San Diego!  My wife will be staying for just a week (has to get back for work), while I'll be staying a few extra days with the baby, lettin' the grandparents have some extra time with her.

I like living in Texas.  My wife and I feel like this is where we are supposed to live, so I have no problems being here.  There's better pay for teachers in Texas than in most states, housing is more affordable, there's no snow (not a fan of the sweltering heat, but at least it doesn't get cold here, which is nice after living in Chicago and going to school in Idaho), and it's good for sports (Rangers, Astros, Spurs, Mavericks, Texans, lots of minor league teams, Longhorns, etc.).

However, I still miss San Diego.

If you've been there, you'll understand.  I never realized how nice it was until I moved away.  I still think that I prefer to live in Texas, but it'd be nice to visit a lot more than I'm able to.  When I look at this 1997 Pinnacle Inside card, Tony looks how I feel when I visit San Diego.  There's so much to do, so much to see... and so much good food to eat.  So many reasons to smile.


One thing I don't like about Texas is the Tex-Mex.  Growing up in San Diego, "my" ideal Mexican food comes from the Baja area.  Rubio's has the best fish tacos, and if you're ever in San Diego, you should try them out.  They're a chain, and have a place in Petco Park.  Lourdes Mexican Food in Escondido (North County San Diego) is a place we frequent, since that's where my wife's family lives.  Carne asada tortas (Mexican sandwich) and caldo de pollo (Mexican chicken soup) are the favorites on the menu.  Texas finally got on the ball and got some In-N-Out Burger, but so far, it's only in the Dallas area.  I've been told that they're working on putting one in Round Rock, about three minutes from where we lived last year, but about 45 minutes from where we live now.  I'll still take it.  The other place that I always go to is Submarina, which is a sub shop that is freaking amazing.

Anyways, now I'm hungry, and we're not leaving for a while still.

My goal is not to blog while on vacation, but I still have some posts scheduled for the first few days I'm gone.  Actually, on Monday I got four trade packages in, so most of them will be showcasing those.  Hopefully when I come back, I'll have some cool pictures of trips to baseball games (Padres and Storm, the Padres A-affiliate in Lake Elsinore) and maybe even some cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment