A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Back from San Diego

Back in the Lone Star state after about a week and a half in America's Finest City.  I'll give a more specific update later, but right now the camera's on the fritz.

Short version: hung out with family, had fun with the cousins and siblings, met my first blood-related nephew, went out to dinner with my wife, went to a card shop, tried to go to a Padres game, went to a Padres game, caught a punk rock show, saw The Dark Knight Rises, flew home with the baby, found a ton of trade packages waiting for me, currently cleaning up vomit from said baby (stomach flu).

I don't like posts without pictures to accompany them, so I might be silent for a few days trying to work out the camera situation, but in the meantime, I've totally updated my trade list (including '12 Allen & Ginter and '11 Topps Diamond parallels) as well as my want list, so lemme know if there's anything you're interested in.

5 comments:

  1. What shop did you go to and was it any good? I am just north of SD and wouldnt mind checking out another shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to RB Sports Cards & Hobby in Rancho Bernardo, just barely off the I-15. It was alright, a bunch of 50 cent boxes, which was a cheap as it got. They had a TON of single base cards from this year's Bowman set, but all in all, it was mostly newer stuff (although I was still able to find a handful of early '70s Friars, and some sweet minor league cards from the 90s & '10s). Went to another one in Escondido, CA, called All-Star Sport Collectibles, which had pricier singles, but some semi-decent vintage, and more pack/box variety, although the people there seemed kinda shady.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good trip. Good punk rock show? Who'd you see?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw the Cobra Skulls (Reno, NV) at Metaphor in Escondido, CA. One of the openers was a local SD punk band called Prosthetic Arms, that was surprisingly good. Bonus points for the awesome band name. Cobra Skulls were awesome as well, but the sound at the venue was lousy. Whenever I'm in town, I always try to go to a show with my little brother, so it was good times.

      Delete