A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

All-Star Contest

Next week is the All-Star Game.  I love the All-Star game, and have been able to go to two of the All-Star Fan Fests; first in 1992, when it was in San Diego, and then again in 2010, when it was in Anaheim.  I remember in '92 I got a few autographed balls from retired players, but I don't know where those went.  I was only eight then, and it was more fun in '10, when I made the drive with my dad and two of my brothers to Orange County.  I think my dad got Juan Marichal's autograph, but none of us wanted to wait in line for a Giant's autograph (although Willie McCovey would be cool, but he was a one-time Friar).

Anyways, as they were getting ready to announce the All-Star selections, I figured that the Padres rep would either be Carlos Quentin, Huston Street, or (on the outside chance) Chase Headley.  Both Quentin and Street were on the DL for a while, but Headley is kinda stuck behind David Wright and Pablo Sandoval at third base.

It ended up being Street, who, despite missing the beginning of the season, and despite not getting a lot of chances to close games (being on a team that is 19 games under .500), has converted on all 13 of his save opportunities with a 1.23 ERA.  I heard on MLBTV that there was some "controversy" with his selection, but he's the only reliever with more than 5 saves who hasn't blown one, and has one of the best closer ERAs in the NL.
Plus, it had to be somebody.

Among the snubs on the NL side is Dat Dude BP.  I don't know how you can leave him off the roster.  Jay Bruce seems like a weaker pick from the Reds.  But there's always snubs.  

Here were my picks for the All-Star Team.  I have a bias against NL teams not in San Diego, which is pretty evident.  My AL picks are much better and more accurate to this year's selections.  Feel free to criticize me/share your picks.

National League
1B - Yonder Alonso.  I know, I know, Votto is the best and Yonder's not going to even sniff the All-Star game this year (or maybe... ever).  I guess I was hoping that if I picked him, he might start playing like an All-Star.  No such luck yet.

2B - Brandon Phillips.  You've seen him play, right?  Is there a better fielding second baseman?  Plus, he's batting .283 with 10 homers and 46 RBI.  If I'm LaRussa, I'd put him as a reserve instead of Ian Desmond.

SS - Starlin Castro.  Not a lot of other options out there, Castro seems like the best possible pick.

3B - Chase Headley.  If the country can vote for Dan Uggla, I can vote for Chase Headley.  In his defense, among NL third basemen, he is : 1st in walks and stolen bases, 2nd in OBP, 3rd in hits and doubles, 4th in runs, and 5th in batting average.  In Petco Park, of all places.  Ok, fine, I'll shut up.

C - Carlos Ruiz.  I wanted to go with Josh Thole, of the Mets, for catching Johan Santana's no-no and both of R.A. Dickey's one-hitters, but Ruiz's numbers are too crazy.  I think even Mets fans are voting for someone else.

OF - Hunter Pence, Martin Prado, and Andrew McCutchen.  Here's where my fan bias was most obvious.  I don't like picking many players from the NL West (besides the Padres), so that eliminated some very worthy candidates (Kemp, Ethier, CarGo, Upton, Young, etc.).  McClutch and Prado are both top 5 in batting average and hits for NL OF's, and Pence isn't far behind them.  I don't feel bad about these picks, but there are plenty of other worthy candidates.

American League
1B - Paul Konerko.  Is the best first baseman in the AL.  Period.  I know I'm a little biased, since he's one of my favorite players, but he's batting .335 (1st among AL 1B's), has 88 hits (2nd among AL 1B's), and has 13 homers (3rd among AL 1B's, if you count Adam Dunn, who's more of a DH).  Dude can still rake at 36 years old

2B - Ian Kinsler.  Gets the Texas bump, even though Robinson Cano edges him in basically every offensive category.  Glad Kinsler still made it.

3B - Adrian Beltre.  Also gets the Texas bump, even though Miguel Cabrera probably has a slight edge.

SS - Asdrubal Cabrera.  Like Phillips in the NL, have you seen him play?  The dude is amazing with the leather.  If he couldn't hit to save his life, I'd still wanna see him play against the best.

C - A.J. Pierzynski.  I think when I did the voting, I actually picked Mike Napoli.  He got the fan vote, mostly for putting on a show in the postseason last year.  I love what he did, but the season he's had up until now isn't really All-Star worthy.  A.J. should've made it, and he's not happy about it (surprise surprise).

OF - Josh Hamilton, Jose Bautista, and Mike Trout.  Ok, I didn't write Trout's name in, I think I picked Ichiro when I did the voting.  But Trout is a beast.  And how can you not have Hamilton or Joey Bats in there?  That's about as close to a no-brainer as you can get.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my jibba-jabba.  I just got up to 50 followers, so I think this would be a good time for a contest, right?  Here's something that I've been able to put together from some of the packs I've ripped recently.

How many Votto's does a Padres fan need?
None, they go to the winner.  Along with a few other All-Star-type cards...

Contest Rules:
1. You must be a follower of the blog.
2. Pick the winner of the Home Run Derby.
3. As a tie-breaker, write how many homers that player will get in their final round.
4. As a last and final tie-breaker, write how many pitches will be thrown in the All-Star game by Padres rep, Huston Street.
5. Also tell me your favorite team, so if you win, I can add some bonus cards.  I'll probably have something for runners-up, as well, who knows...

Good luck!  Thanks for reading this blog!
Extra karma points for clicking the link on the top right and voting former Friar Jake Peavy to the final spot on the AL All-Star team!  Take Jake!  Ex-Pad Ernesto Frieri wouldn't be a horrible choice, either.

Oh, almost forgot!
Home Run Derby contestants: 
AL: Robinson Cano, Jose Bautista, Prince Fielder, Mark Trumbo
NL: Matt Kemp, Giancarlo Stanton, Carlos Gonzalez, Carlos Beltran

14 comments:

  1. Joey Bats wins the derby, he hits 11 in the final round. Street throws 11 pitches.

    ...and I LOVE your blog design, very well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jose Bautista - 10 homers

    Street will throw 13 pitches

    San Diego Padres

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since Billy Butler got hosed out of competing, I'm going with CarGo - 9 dingers
    Street will throw 17 pitches and I'm a Royals and Rockies guy.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll go with Mike...er...Giancarlo Stanton with 8 homers in the final round. Street will throw 13 pitches and I'm a Braves fan. Thanks for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kemp wins, hits 5 in final round, Street throws 15 pitches.

    Dodgers are my squad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prince
    9x yard
    street throws 7

    Red Sox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bautista with eight
    Street: also eight

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cano wins again with 7 in the final round.

    I'm going to go with 0 pitches for Street.

    Yanks.

    Thanks for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going with Carlos Beltran, returning home to KC with 9 HRs in final round.
    Huston Street throws 11 pitches in the game.
    Blue Jays fan here.

    Thank you for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stanton wins the Derby, he hits nine homers in the final round; Sadly, Street throws zero pitches in the ASG.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cano wins with 7 in thelast round. Street throws 17 pitches. As you know, Mets fan here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carlos Beltran baby. 7 home runs in the final round. Street throws 14 pitches. And of course CARDINALS all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Prince Fielder with 4 in the last round, Huston Street: 12 pitches, phillies fan

    ReplyDelete