A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

With the 1,275th Pick of the MLB Draft...

As I write this, I'm watching the First Year Player Draft on the MLB Network.  Did anybody else watch that?  I've watched parts of the the NFL draft, which I thought was pretty boring.  This definitely took the cake.  Snoozeville.

I can't blame the guys on the MLB Network.  I think they did a pretty good job.  I think it's just the product.  A bunch of high school kids and a few college guys that you've never heard of.  Hard to get excited about.  Will probably take years to see how things turn out, basically no "instant gratification".

The Padres picked up three high school pitchers and a college outfielder.  We'll see how they turn out.  If my research is correct, the most recent Padre draft pick to make it to the big club was Miles Mikolas, who has a record of 1-1 with a 3.29 ERA this season.  He was taken with the 204th pick of the 2009 draft.

The 2008 draft seemed pretty decent, as the Padres picked up six players who have seen time in the bigs this year:  Logan Forsythe (46th pick), James Darnell (69th), Blake Tekotte (101st), Anthony Bass (165th), Nick Vincent (555th), and Brad Brach (1,275).  I wonder how many other players who were drafted in the 42nd round like Brad have seen playing time in the majors?

Brad is 0-1 with a 3.32 ERA in 19 innings this year.  25 K's and 15 walks, and batters are hitting .197 against him.  Not too shabby.

Other notable Friar draft picks of the last decade include:
2008 - Jason Kipnis (4th round, did not sign, now with the Indians)
2007 - Cory Luebke (compensation "A" round), Andy Parrino (26th round in 2007)
2006 - Wade LeBlanc (2nd round, now with the Marlins), David Freese (9th round, now a World Series MVP with the Cardinals), Mat Latos (11th round, now with the Reds)
2005 - Nick Hundley (2nd round), Will Venable (7th round)
2004 - Kyle Blanks (42nd round)
2003 - Tim Stauffer (1st round)
2002 - Khalil Greene (1st round), Scott Lonergan (39th round, did not sign, was in the same high school biology class as this blogger)

Don't get me wrong, I do a little "checking up" now and then on the guys down in the minors, seeing how draft picks are doing once they've established themselves a little.  But I'm not watching high school games hoping that my team is going to pick up some 18 year old kid.

Once you get past the first few rounds, it seems kinda like a crap shoot anyways.  If you're lucky, you'll grab a Mike Piazza-type with the 1,390th pick.  But chances are, if that 43rd round pick doesn't work out, you'll probably still be able to keep your job.  Hope the Friars picked a few winners this year.  Give me a call in four years and we'll see how it all shook down.

PS - took a look at players drafted in the first round of 2008, and saw that a lot of them are now playing for the Padres: Yonder Alonso (7th pick overall, Reds), Andrew Cashner (19th overall, Cubs), Casey Kelly (30th overall, Red Sox, still at AAA Tucson).  That's pretty cool.

3 comments:

  1. That Brad Brach card is sweet. I wish I had... oh, wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Wade TheWhite is still with the Marlins organization, not the Giants. He's 3-4 with a 3.42 ERA in 12 starts with AAA New Orleans so far this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's right. Even when they were both on the Pads, I always got Wade LeBlanc and Clay Hensley mixed up. I think it's the long "A" in Clay and Wade. Fixed.

      Delete