A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Trade with Jeremy

Jeremy is a reader who contacted me about unloading a Nolan Ryan "Historical Stitches"card that he had pulled.  I'll admit that when I first saw these online, I thought, "Meh."  It kind of seems like a pretend relic, and it doesn't even have a team logo or anything, it's just his last name, embroidered on a piece of cloth.

However, the idea of getting rid of a bunch of Archives (at the time, there were a bunch of cards that I had triples and quadruples of) and almost all of my Topps Series 1 was too good to pass up.  And Jeremy seemed like a good guy, who also happens to be a Lone Star resident who is a fan of an out-of-state team (the Reds).  Plus, hey, it's still a Nolan Ryan related card, so it can't be that bad.

Anyways, I sent him a hefty amount of his needs for Archives and Topps Series 1, and here's what I got in return...

Obviously, the card that started it all.  As I've said before (I think), in my mind, Nolan Ryan was always a Ranger (that's just my age showing, plus he's still working in the organization), so I like seeing cards of him on his previous teams.  I have a few relic cards (of other players), but none of them are as thick as this one is.

Some great Padres pitchers.  Trevor you all know, but a lot of people forget that "The Professor" went 20-20 with a 4.07 ERA for the Friars between '07 and '08.  He ended the 2006 season with the Dodgers, but signed with the Padres in the offseason, leading to this card of him in a Dodgers uniform, with "Padres" in the team name-space on the left side.  He re-joined LA at the end of the 2008 season, and then retired.

This was a pretty cool card.  As you can see below...

It opens up like a tri-fold, giving a little bio for each Clemens and Maddux, and on the back it has a hologram of them both.  Couldn't get a good picture of the hologram, so this will have to do.  Very unique (at least to me) and definitely a good pick up.

Easily the oldest card in the bunch, this is from the 1972 Topps set.  This is the only card that I have from this set, and Lee is also the only one that I have from the '73 Topps set.  For now...

We decided that this would be Return Package, Part I, since I the package I sent was pretty substantial.  He's still going through some of his old cards (he told me he had eleven 5,000 count boxes he was currently sifting through), so sometime in the future he'll be sending over some more Friar cardboard.  Can't wait to post those.

I guess it's kind of like adding in a "Player(s) to be named later" or a few draft picks to sweeten a deal.  Only with cards.

Thanks for the trade Jeremy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again. Be on the look out for package #2 at the end of summer!
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete