A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Trade with Friars on Cardboard

You can't choose who else is a fan of your team.  I'm sure there are those who are embarrassed by some who share interest in their team of choice.  In the blogosphere, I've only come across one other Padre card blogger.  And I couldn't think of anyone I'd rather have on my side.

To avoid a gushing rant of my online-bromance with TTG from Friars on Cardboard, I'm just going to go ahead and show some pictures of the goodness that was sent to me a few days ago.


Not only were the cards wrapped into packages, but they were even divided into separate sets!  And take a look at the artwork.  Very talented dude.

Seeing as how we just finished a series with the Gigantes, thought I'd open up with this card.  An overcast day in the Gaslamp Quarter, but the home team was able to come away with the win, 6-1.

It might just be me, but for me, these sand-colored uniforms will always mark the "Khalil-era" of Padre baseball.  Jake looks so young here!  Nine years later and he's a grizzled veteran.

Do people keep the "protective" plastic on these cards, or do they take it off?  What does the plastic protect it from?  Being able to see Greg Vaughn's face?  I don't have enough Bob Tewksbury cards in a Padre uniform.  I remember there was a game where the radar gun clocked one of his pitches at 48 miles an hour.

I wish there were more pictures of Ken Caminiti on this card.  Phil's pose seems like a pose that Jose Canseco would make... Hat off, hair perfectly coiffed, squinting off into the distance.  From the 1994 O-Pee-Chee set.

From the 1985 Topps set, Champ's last season was actually in 1984, his only season with San Diego.  The last at-bat of his career was in the game 4 of the 1984 World Series, in which he struck out.  It was his only at-bat in the series.  Before Tony Gwynn and Trevor Hoffman, Randy Jones was the fan favorite of San Diego.  He's still hanging around Petco Park, running Randy Jones BBQ near the "Park in the Park".  I remember as a kid, I went to a Randy Jones Baseball Camp.  I probably still have the shirt, somewhere at my parents house.

Alvin Dark was the manager of the Padres for less than a year, when he was hired mid-season in 1977.  The Padres went 48-65 under him, good for a 5th place finish in the division.  That was his last season as a manager.  In 1980, he wrote an autobiography titled "When In Doubt, Fire The Manager".

The oldest cards from the Padres set, 1974 Topps.  This is my second Enzo Hernandez card.  Enzo played for the Dads from 1971-1977.  He would've been a lifetime Padre were it not for the 1978 season, his last in the majors.  He signed with the Dodgers, and had three at-bats in four games, in which he failed to record a hit.

Now we're digging into the "Not Padres" pack of cards.  I love cards of Padres players, even if they're not in the Padres uni.  TTM did a post using this card a while back, and I remember thinking it was cool looking.  Better in person.  Gotta love Bip.  This is one of two Bips that came in the pack, but it's the best looking one.  I have a soft spot in my heart for 1992 & 1993 Topps.  Sharp looking sets.  Does anybody remember that Mr. Roberts was an All-Star in 1992?

A pair of former Giants, now on the Padres coaching staff.  Dave Roberts seems like a great guy, from his playoff heroics with the Red Sox to battling back from cancer.  Buddy seems like a good guy as well, but I wonder what kind of job security he'll have, seeing how the Pads are doing so far this year.

Always good to add another Paulie to the collection.  Having a monster year so far.  Hopefully he can stay healthy/not get hit in the face by any more pitches.

I think this is the measure of a great trade package.  When even the cards that aren't from the team you collect or the set you're trying to build are still awesome.  TTG sent a few of the 1993 Hostess cards, and the Griffey Jr. is the best looking one.  As any Padre fan knows, Jerry Hairston is the father of Scott and Jerry Jr., both of whom have spent time with the SD on their caps (I have a Max Venable card that I got recently that would go along nicely next to this Hairston Sr. card).  And if you're a fan of the 2005 World Series Championship Chicago White Sox (which I am), you havta love Ozzie.

Have I shown enough cards?  Could you possibly want more?  Well there's more.  I almost missed this cool note on the back of one of the packs as I gently ripped into them.


Here is that "Bonus Hit-Card".  Mitch Canham is a catcher, currently in the Cardinals minor league organization.  Good ol' Eugene Emeralds, the Padres short-season A league team.  Weird signature, his "M" looks like two lowercase L's.

Ok, that's enough with the cards, time to wrap up the world's longest post.  There couldn't possibly be more, right?

He knew that I was a fan of the Bouncing Souls from my very first "Music Monday" post a while back.  He's a much bigger Souls fan that I am, but they are awesome, and this is my favorite song from them.  Definitely the coolest non-card item that I've ever gotten in a trade package.

Thanks for the trade, fellow fan!  Everybody should check out Friars on Cardboard, it's an awesome blog, and none of the posts are as long as mine.  Thanks for reading, if you made it down this far.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it! I had fun with it, seeing as how we're fans of the same stuff.
    One thing- and I feel like a jerk- is that you put "TTM" instead of "TTG". I think it must have been a subconscious thing where as collectors, when we type two capital Ts, an M immediately follows because we're so used to using that. I did the exact opposite thing a few days ago; I was referring to through the mail autos and I abbreviated it TTG.

    But anyway, that was my favorite trade ever. We'll have to do it again some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good! I'm already stockpiling my Padre doubles. Oh, and I fixed your name, sorry about that. You're right, TTM flies off the fingertips.
      In 5th grade I got my name and picture in the local paper for being in the student council for my elementary school. I was so stoked, until I saw that they had misspelled my last name. As a pudgy, self-conscious kid, having my last name spelled "Pound" was pretty mortifying. 3,141 apologies to you.

      Delete