A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Trade with BA Benny

The third and last trade post for today.  Three left and then I'll be all caught up.

A while back, I posted that I had a bunch of lots for teams that I was trying to unload for Padres.  BA Benny, being the New York fan that he is, grabbed the Yankees and the Metropolitans.  In return, he sent me a pretty hefty stack of Padre cards.

As I choose which cards to post pictures of for my trade posts, I always wonder if the person who sent me the cards had particular favorites that they would prefer me to show, or if they're all unwanted and they don't really care either way.  I tend to think that (at least when it comes to Padres), it's probably the latter in most cases.  Some exceptions might be particulary sweet Gwynn cards that they might have begrudgingly parted ways with.

Anyways, not a lot of inserts in this package, but a lot of base cards, which will help me further some of the team sets that I'm chasing.  Sometime soon, I'd like to get organized and have complete wants/needs lists, but until then, just go ahead and send all the Padres you want.  Chances are, I can use 'em.

When I sent the NY cards to BA Benny, I noticed that the name on his mailing address was Mike.  I wondered where the name "BA Benny" came from.  I probably could've asked him, but I think it might have come from his awesome collection of Benito Santiago cards.  I'll show my top three Benny cards, saving the best for last.

1992 Leaf.  Shows the gunslinger reaching out to catch a pitch, while his umpire friend gives him a reassuring pat on the back.

Another Padre from 1992 Pinnacle that I had never seen but knew that it existed!  It didn't disappoint!  These came out in Series 2, and feature TECHnical sketches of how the players did what they did best.  They only featured seven players, including Nolan Ryan, Ryne Sandberg, and Rickey Henderson.

Score!  1991!  Not only getting me closer to the full team set, but this is a pretty sweet card in my book.  Benito looking deadpan at a runner, daring you to try to steal.  Ok, so the card was taken in a studio and it's a posed look.  Still looks pretty bad ass.

A Cora card that gets me closer to the 1991 Score complete set.  Also, another Raul Casanova card.  This is my third card of his, all in Padre catcher gear, and he never even played a game for them.  A Zero-Year card, to borrow a phrase from a fellow blogger.

I think this is my first Scott Livingstone card in the Padre pinstripes.  About time.  You might not be able to tell from the photo, but Gene Tenace has a few stickers or something on his helmet.  And a sweet mustache.  Can't have too many Randy Jones cards.  

Andy Benes could get strikeouts like no other Padre before him.  He's second on the all time Padre list with 1,036, behind Jake Peavy's 1,348, and ahead of Trevor's 1,029.  I'm not sure how many times he used the knuckleball, though, despite what this card may lead you to believe.


This is a pretty cool 3D card of Andy Benes.  With most 3D cards, you move them back and forth to see the different images.  With this one, you move it top to bottom, something I hadn't seen before.  Also cool that it shows Benes as a hitter.  I like seeing cards of pitchers hitting, there's not a lot of them (sounds like a post idea for a future date...).

The Padres collection is starting to really bulk up now.  Loving it!  Thanks for the trade, Benny!

No comments:

Post a Comment