A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Package from Padrographs

When I first started this blog, I was pretty insecure about proclaiming myself a "Padres collector", because despite my fandom, my collection was pretty meager.  As a kid, I mostly just ripped packs, and I seemingly never got any Pads.  I was able to buy a few singles of my favorite Padres, but that's a slow way to acquire volume.  Enough to mostly fill a one inch binder.  Fast forward a decade and a half and a few trades in the blogosphere (with people unloading all of their unwanted and unloved Friar cardboard), and I was getting pretty close to filling a three inch binder.  I was feeling pretty good about myself.

Then I received a package from Rod from Padrographs.  After tallying up the haul and dividing them up, the "Padres" binder is about to rip asunder, and a split will be happening sometime this week (starting to put them in some semblance of order).  Talk about a load of Padres!  And since Rod is a Padre collector as well, I'm going to assume that these are all doubles, so I'm going to thusly assume that Rod's collection of Padres probably has it's own room in his house.  

Enough pontificating already, here is the goodness greatness:

As a huge fan of 1992 Pinnacle as well as a Padres fan, I feel embarrassed to say that this was the first time I had ever seen this card, although I was aware of it's existence.  Despite the fact that there's a Dodger in the background, a great Gwynn card.  Love the backswing.

Has anyone ever heard of "Ballstreet" baseball cards?  I never have, and that's why I love this one.  An unorthodox catch as well, so it works well with this unknown company.  "Cards that I've never heard of/seen before" would become a recurring theme in this package.

Can you guess what brand of card this is?  I was thinking Upper Deck/Goudey at first, but it turns out that it's from 1990 Score, a subset called "Scoremasters".  I have never seen a card like this before.

If you can't tell, there is a blue border around this 1988 Topps card, and instead of a number in the back, there is an "F".  I have no idea what the story is behind this, but I love it.

Are you serious?  I love 1994 Topps Stadium Club!  How have I never heard of this card before?  By '94, I'm assuming that "Quick Start" is in reference to his ability to start hitting early in the season and not  Tony's actual footspeed (although he had four seasons with 30+ stolen bases, they were all in the 80s;  he only had 5 in 1994).

Ok, more familiar territory.  I stopped collecting Triple Play after the inaugural year, because the red border and the facts on the back were too "kiddie-themed" for me.  1993 was much improved, and I wish I had known, nine year-old me would've dug these.

Gasp!  As a kid, I only dreamed of having one of the Tony Gwynn Commemorative Series cards.  And he sent nine-tenths of the set!  These are awesome, and card #1 is now first on the list of ATWTTB's most wanted.  The set will be mine... oh yes... it will be mine.  These were the favorites of the about 50 Gwynn's that Rod sent.

Proof that they weren't all Gwynns.  RIFLEMAN!  Not the American western television show starring Chuck Connors from the '50s and '60s.  Benito Santiago.  Yeah, I still call him Benito.  Show some respect, Score.  Slowly inching closer to that 1991 Score team set...

Not all the cards were of major leaguers.  There were quite a few minor league cards, which are awesome.  Rymer Liriano is still with the Lake Elsinore Storm.  Heading off to San Diego in a few weeks, and hope to catch a game while I'm there.  Don't know a lot about Adys Portillo, but the Fort Wayne Tincaps are the Padres Short-A season team.  He's still there. 

 Before the AAA team moved to Tucson and became the "Padres", they were in Portland and were called the "Beavers".  Craig Stansberry is now in Toronto, and is the only MLB player to have been born in Saudi Arabia.  Sogard is now with the A's, hitting .145 in 69 at bats this year.  

I used these cards since they were of the same player.  The Beaumont Golden Gators were the Padres AA affiliate from 1983 to 1986.  Famous alumni include Benito, John Kruk, Ozzie Guillen, Joey Cora, and Roberto & Sandy Alomar.  The team left Beaumont after the oil bust, and re-located to Wichita Kansas, becoming the Pilots and later the Wranglers.  They've since moved to Springdale, Arkansas, becoming the Northwest Arkansas Naturals, affiliate of the Royals.  The Las Vegas Stars are now the Las Vegas 51s, a farm team of the Blue Jays.  
Long boring history lesson aside, James Steels played parts of three seasons with three teams (Padres, Rangers, and Giants) from 1987 to 1989, and hit .180 in 133 career at bats.

I wish I had counted to see how many cards Rod sent altogether, but I didn't.  Suffice it to say that it was a ton.  And very few dupes/ones that I already had, lots of cards that I would consider difficult to find.  Totally awesome.  Here's hoping that everyone has a blogger for their team that is as awesome (and loaded with cards) as Rod is for this Padre fan!  Thanks Padrographs!

4 comments:

  1. That 1988 Gwynn is cut out from a box bottom, Topps used letters instead of numbers for those cards with a weird blue border in 88. Nice haul of cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwynn was a Dodger Fan!

    I must have that card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ballstreet was a magazine with cards in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to work out another swap sometime because that Gyorko is a thing of beauty. I've been a big fan since he was at WVU; I was so excited when the Padres picked him. I did notice that the card I posted yesterday is on your want list...

    And, yeah, like you said in the comments on my post about the haul he sent me, Rod is THE MAN.

    ReplyDelete