A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

GWYNNsday After a Padres WIN Day

BOOM!

Did you hear that?  That was the sound from Petco Park last night as the Padres took the wood to the Giants, belting three solo home runs.  Carlos Quentin, who has come off the DL like a man possessed hit two of them.  Take a look at the stats for CQ:

6 games
5 homers
9 runs batted in
4 doubles
.522 average

I don't see the rust, do you?  To be honest, I didn't think that Carlos would have much of an impact on the Padres lineup when he came back.  I was wrong.  He is one bad dude.  To top it off, Logan Forsythe must've read my blog a few posts back when I welcomed him back to the majors, because he decided to  play the hero and end the game with a walk off home run.  Stoked for him and the Pad Squad.

Anyways, what does any of this have to do with Anthony Keith?  The Padres recent outburst of power made me think of this sweet looking piece of cardboard from 1994 Pinnacle.


Tony was one of the best pure hitters in the history of baseball.  When the term "pure hitter" is applied to Tony, I usually visualize that ground ball going through the five hole, just out of reach of the fielder, or a soft liner dropping right in front of the left fielder.  I don't think "home runs".

But he wasn't a total slouch in the power department.  His highest home run total was in 1998 (the last year the Padres went to the World Series) was 16.  He added a home run in game 1 of the World Series off of David Wells.  Tony ranks 5th on the Padres all time home run total with 135.  Stretched out over a span of 20 years, I know that's not much (less than 7 a season).  But he could knock one out from time to time.

I don't know if this picture was taken after a curving foul ball, or a towering home run, but I'd like to think that he's admiring the trajectory of one of the 19 homers he hit between 1993 and 1994.

Hope the Friars can keep the bats hot tonight against Madison Bumgarner.  Go Padres!  Make it a GWYNNsday WINsday.

3 comments:

  1. Cubs Sweep Padres, Giants Sweep Cubs....Padres Sweep Giants?!? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony Gwynn had such a sweet swing, I think some of his homers were almost mistakes where he just got under a pitch by a small bit. His class on and off the field is one of the reasons I collect his cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quentin is a beast when he's healthy. If he could stay healthy, he would still be with the White Sox. I don't know that he's played a full season yet. I wish him well though. I hated to see him go but I understood why. Good luck to him.

    ReplyDelete