A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

GWYNNsday Advice

I have been teaching 5th grade for the past school year, and at the end of the year, I was offered the chance to teach 5th grade summer school.  After going to the trainings and figuring out how they wanted us to run our classes, and meeting with the other teachers to see how we would work together, I found out in the middle of day two of class that the 5th grade enrollment wasn't high enough to justify three teachers and they'd be moving me to 1st grade.

I was actually pretty excited, because my semester of student teaching and whole first year of teaching were in 1st grade, so it was actually the grade level that I had the most experience in (although not the most recent).  I have a pretty good group of students, and although they struggle (some to an alarming degree), for the most part, they seem like they're putting forth a good effort.  I'm hoping I can work with them enough to get them to a level where they'll be able to do well in second grade, but there are a few that may be retained.

It's difficult to get kids to learn how to think.  How to read something and understand what it is really saying.  It needs to start at home, but it hasn't for a lot of these kiddos.

It made me wonder what it's like for a great athlete to teach... lesser athletes.  I remember hearing that Stan Musial (or some other great, old school Cardinal hitter) wasn't a great teacher, because he just... hit.  See the ball, hit the ball.  Tony Gwynn has coached at the college level, helping out at his alma mater, San Diego State University, so I'd gather that he knows how to teach.  Not sure that he ever used a diagram like this, though.  From the 1993 Upper Deck set, card #211.

My advice for today:  Read with your kids.  Ask them questions.  Make them think.  Don't wait until they're in school to start, or they may be starting behind the eight-ball.

1 comment:

  1. We started reading to our sons in the womb and haven't stopped yet (my oldest just turned 12). They both read constantly and make great grades in school. I have no doubt there is a connection.

    ReplyDelete