A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bonus! Excellent!

Still working on my 1971 style set of 2012 Topps Archives, and finally nearing the end!  Eight more to go!

To expedite the process, I scoured eBay for some cheapo cards.  I was able to pick up Roy and Matt for less than a quarter each.  I have a hard time spending more than a dollar for a single card, unless is especially awesome or autographed, or something along those lines.  Takes longer to find those gems, but I'm glad I saw these, as they fit into the budget perfectly.

However, upon opening the envelope that the seller sent to me, I was surprised to find a card that I hadn't ordered.  At first, I thought it was this from year's Heritage set.  Upon further review, I found that I didn't recognize the name, and the cardstock was very different from what I remembered.

Then, I realized that I was holding and actual Topps card from 1963.

I thought it was pretty cool.  Apparently, the seller took longer than usual to send those cards off, so to try to make up for it (and keep their rating high), they tossed in a vintage card.  Needless to say, the feedback I left was awesome.


Since the Padres came into the league in 1969, they didn't make it into this Topps set.  However, just because they were in the majors doesn't mean that they weren't around.

For those of you not in the know, the Padres were a Pacific Coast League team (PCL) from 1936 to 1968.  I'll do a few posts on the history of the Friars at a future time (since I really need to get cranking on the bunch of trade posts I have on the burner).  However, if you're wondering if any of the PCL Pads made it to the majors, the answer is staring you in the face.  Well, I guess he's actually staring at something behind you and to your left.  But Dick Stigman was a PCL Padre alumni, who went on to pitch for the Indians, Twins, and Red Sox, from 1960 to 1966.


According to the back of this card, he didn't do too bad in San Diego, leading the PCL in K's his last season there.  Whether this was due to his ability to locate his curveball or his penchant for hypnotizing batters, it's a pretty impressive feat.

I can't imagine that the seller who passed this along to me knew that I was a Padre fan, since my pickups were Phillies and Rangers, but I think it's pretty cool how it all worked out.  I guess this will have to go into my "Former Padre" binder.

It's a pretty sweet addition.

1 comment:

  1. What topps archvies base cards do you need? I have 3 full base sets.. and i dont need 3 full base sets so i'll surely trade whatever you need away, please send me an e-mail brauer144 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete