A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, May 7, 2012

Jerald Clark

Among the Padre goodness that I got from Potch (referred to in the last post), I found a few Jerald Clark cards.  One I already had (already have the complete 1991 Upper Deck team set), but two of them were new for me.  That got me thinking... for a player that I don't know a lot about, I think I have quite a few cards of his.  Time to figure out a little more about him.

Jerald Dwayne Clark is from Crockett, TX, approximately 162 miles away from where I am in Texas (thanks Google Maps) and was born on August 10, 1963.  He was drafted in the 12th round of the MLB draft by the Padres in 1985.

He played six games in 1988, and played in less than 50 games in each of the next two seasons after that.  He got significantly more playing time in 1991 and 1992, batting .236 during that time, with 22 homers and 105 RBI.

He left the Pad squad in 1993 when he was taken in the expansion draft by the Colorado Rockies as the 7th pick.  He had a pretty good season, too, hitting .282 with 13 homers and 67 RBIs (both career highs).

He was there for a season before being granted free agency and going to the Yakult Swallows in Japan's Central League.  I couldn't find any information on why he decided to leave the states, but there must have been something that brought him back, as he played his last season in the majors in 1995 with the Twins.


Jerald had seven career stolen bases, including one during a game against the Dodgers (yeah!) when he stole home.  Tommy Lasorda had gone out to talk with his pitcher, but had forgot to call time, and Clark took advantage.

On jeraldclark.com, you can see that Mr. Clark is currently a real estate agent in San Diego for Re/Max.  Seems like a pretty interesting guy, who was on some good looking cards.  I think the '92 Pinnacle is my favorite, but I also really like that set, so maybe I'm a little biased.

No comments:

Post a Comment